I couldn’t write about food in Texas without talking about breakfast tacos. Each one of these places could get an article of its own, and some already do, but I’m going to combine my favorites here.
Let’s get this out of the way. There are some decent breakfast taco chains – particularly if you’re in a pinch and have no other options. My preferred chain is Torchy’s, for their variety and consistency. The migas taco is always solid.
Where to go in Houston:
- Villa Arcos
- A cute house in EaDo serving menudo and breakfast tacos. The chicharrones super is particularly fantastic.
- Laredo Taqueria
- The best tortillas in town.
- Breakfast tacos include egg and potato, barbacoa and huevos mexicano.
- They also have a large selection of lunch and dinner tacos, including a chicken and noodles taco. I’m curious, but I don’t think I’m that curious.
- Open for 40 years, on Washington Avenue.
- Brothers Taco House
- In EaDo, serving menudo, barbacoa and chicharrones.
- Supposedly only serves breakfast tacos until 11am, but we still got them at noon. Whoever decided there’s a time limit on breakfast tacos was absurd.
Where to go in Austin:
- Juan in a Million
- The classic ‘Don Juan’ potato, egg and bacon taco that equals two meals, so you’ll have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow.
- Valentina’s Tex-Mex BBQ
- One of my favorite spots – not just amongst breakfast tacos, but period. Did someone say brisket AND bacon? On a taco?
Where to go in DFW:
- I actually have zero breakfast taco recommendations in DFW, except for chains, so let me know your thoughts!
Where to go in College Station:
- Coco Loco
- If you know, you know.
- Their migas and barbacoa tacos were an early morning classic, whether before class or before Chilifest.